Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunset

      The clouds parted this afternoon for the first time in what seemed like days.  It was like seeing an old friend when the sun came shining through.  And my mood almost immediately improved.  Its funny how something important as the sun can be so completely taken for granted.  Not only does it keep us from flying off into space, the planet heated, and plants growing, it makes me happy.  Its so much harder to have a bad day when the sun is shining, and so much easier to have a rough day when its not.
     So instead of taking the sun fr granted today, i sat and watched the sunset. And it was glorious! Everyone* says winter sunsets are not as impressive as winter ones, I beg to disagree.  No the sky may not be filled to bursting with colors, but how much more impressive is it when you come around a corner, and there in front of you is a landscape that would put the classical painters to shame.  Tonight it was a beacon of orange. Apricots, tangerines, mixed with buttery yellows, and faded into corals that drifted away into dusty pinks then finally grey blues.
  I didn't have my camera on me (its nothing special, just a little point and shoot) and the camera on my phone is not up to the task of capturing the textures of the these shades. So I'll leave you with this image from my.opera.com
   

*you know everyone, right? Everyone does ;)

No comments: